Gatha Sharma believes ‘teaching’ is a process of ‘learning’. She wants to create an environment in the classroom which enables each student to realise his or her true potential. She also works for the preservation of environment.
Currently my research interest lies in exploring 'language-change' through corpus linguistics; discourse analysis; and statistics. I teach "Mapping LanguageChange', a 400 level course, based on the methodology used in, and the findings of my linguistic research. I am also very interested in exploring the life and works of 18th century prose writers. My graduate course "Global 18th Century" reflects that. Another dimension of my research is to examine literary and critical practices of ancient Sanskrit texts. I want to formulate an undergraduate course on "Shastrarth".
- Gatha Sharma, “Mudra-Rakshas: An Amalgam of Greek and Indian Sensibilities”, International Conference on “Greek Studies: An Asian Perspective” organized by Department of Language, Literature and Culture Studies, JNU, Feb.25-28, 2014.
- Gatha Sharma, “Bhootnath: The Mysterious World of Aiyars”, International Conference on Translation, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, Dec. 4-6, 2014
- Gatha Sharma, “‘Lady Montagu’s Turkish Embassy Letters: Authentic, Powerful and Feminine’ , International Conference on Comparative Literature: At the Crossroads of Culture and Society , organized by Centre for Comparative Literature, Bhasha Bhavana, Visva-Bharati, in association with Comparative Literature Association of India, January 16 to 17, 2016.
- Gatha Sharma, "18th Century Women Travellers: A Proto-Feminist Perspective of 'The Grand Tour', A Young Scholars Conference on Gendered Myths of Conflict and Unbelonging from A Comparative Literature Perspective (Under Project UPE-II,Centre of Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Latin American Studies, JNU) 2nd and 3rd AUGUST, 2016 at the Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
- Gatha Sharma, Long 18th Century: Print Culture and Women Writings, Multiculturalism in Literature: Reinventing Identities, National seminar organised by SGGS College, Chandigarh, on Feb. 17, 2017 in Chandigarh